Can You Put Foil In a Toaster Oven?
Toaster ovens are a great alternative to heating up our ovens. Where they are only devised for toasting bread, many people use different hacks and use it for different purposes. Most of these hacks make use of aluminum foil.
Aluminum foil has a lot of uses in toasters and ovens for example when you have to bake a potato or a garlic dish, you wrap it up in aluminum foil and throw it into the oven.
Even though your life is way easier with these hacks, if you don’t take proper care while using it, you might end up with a fire on your hands.
In this article we will discuss; can you put foil in a toaster oven, the hazards involved and the safe way to use aluminum foil in your oven.
Aluminum foil is made after immense processing of aluminum alloy. It is treated with different chemicals and substances during the processing. Due to this, it develops certain properties that can be hazardous in ovens.
These dangers are:
Aluminum foil can spark when it comes in contact with any heating element. Since it is a metal, it sparks when it comes into contact with another heated element. This spark can damage the oven as well as cause a fire.
Aluminum foil can easily catch fire whenever it comes into contact with anything that is heated or on fire.
Where this property is what makes aluminum very useful, it can be a hazard in the oven. Using aluminum foil in the oven can raise the temperature of the toaster to more than what it is designed for. This can render it inoperable or make it catch fire.
All metals have a melting point, similarly, when this foil is heated or comes into contact with heating elements the foils melts onto the heating parts. This can pose a great risk of fire.
How to Safely Use Aluminum Foil
After reading the hazards explained above, it is normal to freak out but there are safe ways to use this foil as well.
Some of the safety measures you can take while using aluminum foil are:
- Read the safety manual of your toaster oven for any hints related to not using the foil.
- Make sure the foil does not touch any of the heating elements.
- Don’t let the aluminum foil touch the sides of the toaster oven.
- Never cover the crumb tray of your toaster oven with foil as it raises the temperature immensely.
- Wrap the foil tightly around whatever you are cooking. Make sure there are no loose ends.
- If your oven is aluminum foil safe and you can cover the crumb tray with the foil, don’t let grease and other things accumulate on it.
- Don’t use simple daily aluminum foil for your oven, use heavy duty aluminum foil.
Can You Put Foil In a Toaster Oven Conclusion
Aluminum foil can be of great use but the hazards it poses can be a turnoff for many people. For better and efficient cooking, you can always use multiple alternatives to aluminum foil.
These alternatives can be parchment paper, alternative metal utensils, covered roasting pans, non-stick liners etc.
The warnings in toaster oven manuals are not just precautionary, but rather prevention and safety. It is extremely advisable not to take them lightly.